FAQs for Sellers

FAQs for Sellers

Take a look at our FAQ’s below answering some of the most commonly asked questions from sellers.

I want to sell a property. What’s the first step?

The first thing to do is arrange a free property valuation with us. We will visit your home, then give you an expert opinion on how much we think it will sell for. At this point, we’ll be able to answer any questions you may have about our services or the local property market. You can book a free sales valuation with us here.

How much will it cost to sell my property?

When you sell your property, you’ll need to factor in the following costs:

Conveyancing. This is the process of legally transferring your property to a buyer and is handled by a solicitor.

Estate agency fees. We will help you to market and sell the property. Typically our fees are paid from the proceeds of your sale, on completion, by your solicitor.

EPC. An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) tells buyers how energy efficient your property is. It’s a legal requirement to obtain one.

You may also have to put aside some money to bring the property to standard. Sometimes, even small changes to the décor can result in a better offer from a prospective buyer.

How will my property be marketed?

When you work with us, your property will be marketed in a wide-reaching, yet targeted manner. It’ll appear on all the major property portals, such as Rightmove, Zoopla and On The Market. It will also be featured on our website and social media platforms, and in our email marketing material, which is sent out to relevant buyers who have registered their interest with us, in buying a property.

How are property viewings conducted?

Typically, we will handle all the viewings on your behalf. However, if you’d prefer to be involved in the process, that’s not a problem. You can choose to be present while we show people around your house, for example.

What legal documents do I need to provide to sell my property?

When selling your home, you’ll need to provide your solicitor with the following:

  • Proof of ID (e.g. passport or driving licence)
  • Title deeds to the property
  • Property information form (TA6)
  • Fittings and contents form (TA10)
  • Leasehold documents (if applicable)
  • EPC

Your solicitor will be on hand to help you with this legal documentation.

Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

It’s a legal requirement to purchase an EPC when you’re selling your home. As your estate agent, we will need to display the EPC rating as part of the marketing process.

Do I have to pay stamp duty?

As a seller, it’s not your responsibility to pay any stamp duty. Only the buyer has to pay this.

What happens when someone makes an offer?

When someone puts in an offer, you have the right to either accept or decline it. We will have done some background checks to confirm the offer is affordable to the buyer and if we reach an agreement on the sale price we will look to obtain proof of funds. We shall advise whether we consider the offer to be worth accepting or whether we should return to the buyer to ask for a higher bid. We shall assist with the decision making, taking into account a number of factors about the property, and about the buyer. If you accept an offer, it’s not legally binding until the contracts have been exchanged.

How long will it take to complete my sale?

Anticipate the whole process taking about three months. However, be aware, it can take longer. For example, if there are lots of people in the chain, things can only progress at the speed of the slowest seller or buyer. Some solicitors may take a longer time than others, and enquiries raised after the survey can also hold things up.

At Hotblack Desiato, we will keep you in the loop as much as possible, and take an active role in keeping things moving.

Where are my title deeds?

Your title deeds are usually held with your mortgage lender, and it’s your solicitor’s job to get hold of them. These title deeds are then passed to the buyer’s lender, where they’ll be held until the buyer pays their mortgage off.

When do I need to move out?

The completion date is the day (pre-agreed by all parties involved prior to exchange of contracts) that you’ll move out of your house. Typically, you’ll need to vacate your home by midday.

Contact us

Contact us

Looking to sell property in North London? Get in touch with one of our friendly estate agent branches today.

Islington Estate Agent – 020 7226 0160
Highbury Estate Agent – 020 7288 9696
Camden Estate Agent – 020 7482 2894