Islington, Highbury and Camden are three of the most desirable places to live in London not just because of the wide variety of properties available, but also due to the quality of life it offers to local residents. From art and culture, to shopping and late-night entertainment, few other boroughs in the capital can compare. If you are thinking of moving to the area here is a list of top things to do in Islington, Highbury and Camden so you have a clear idea of what to expect.
Camden has long been the home of some of the UK’s most exciting musicians, artists and writers, as well as attracting thousands of tourists each day to its eclectic market places. Here’s some of the best things to do in Camden:
- Shopping: Music, fashion, hand-made jewellery, vintage clothing and antiques are just some of the delights you can pick up across a range of markets including Camden Market, Camden Lock Market, Stables Market and Camden Lock Village. Thousands of tourists flock here every day and it’s easy to see why.
- Food and drink: The multi-cultural community in Camden is one of the borough’s many delights and that ensures there is always a fantastic range of food to enjoy. South African restaurant Shaka Zulu is well known for its unique menu, along with street food at KERB labs and ice cream at Chin Chin Labs.
- Music: Music and Camden go hand-in-hand with the world famous Jazz Café located only a minute from the station. There’s also Koko, Electric Ballroom and the Underworld, along with the Blues Kitchen and The Roundhouse, offering something for everyone.
- Other things to do: London Zoo sits in-between Westminster and Camden in Regent’s Park. Modern art exhibitions take place at The Cob Gallery and the Camden Arts Centre is one of London’s most highly respected visual art exhibitors. Regent’s Canal also runs through the borough at Camden Lock where you can jump aboard a water bus. The Odeon Camden also shows the latest blockbusters as and when they go on general release.
ISLINGTON & HIGHBURY
Islington and Highbury are considered to be one of the most affluent areas of north London and are responsible for producing a legendary list of entertainers from across the worlds of TV, film, music and art. Anyone moving to the area will always be spoilt for choice. Here’s a list of things to do in Islington and Highbury.
- Shopping: Angel Central is across the road from Angel Underground Station, featuring a multiplex Vue cinema and a great selection of brand name retail outlets. Holloway Road also features independent and name brand retail shops all the way along its 3km length. Chapel Market is always alive with independent traders selling clothes, household goods and more.
- Food and drink: Angel is renowned for the many pubs, bars, cafés and restaurants that run along Upper Street. From street food at Chapel Market, to exclusive dining at Le Coq and an excellent variety of food from around the world, Angel has much to offer when it comes to food and drink. You should also check out Islington Farmer’s Market which offers fresh season produce all-year round.
- Music: There are plenty of live music events happening across Islington and Highbury on most days of the week. The Garage is perhaps the best known, with a history stretching back decades, while Nambucca offers two floors of entertainment. The Bar with No Name and The Exmouth Arms are always busy and open to people visiting for the first time.
- Other things to do: In terms of cinema, the Screen on the Green presents the latest arthouse offerings, with blockbusters shown down the road at the aforementioned Vue. Sadler’s Wells Theatre in Angel is one of the most popular in London, and the Almeida Theatre always puts on well-reviewed shows from the next generation of playwrights and performers. Football fans can join the 60,000 or so who flock to Arsenal F.C. every other week, and anyone who wants to stretch their legs can do so in the expanse of Highbury Fields or Caledonian Park. For something a little different, why not try one of the various escape rooms in Islington.
With such a wide variety of things to do in Islington, Highbury and Camden, there really is something for everyone. If you are thinking of buying or renting within these areas, get in touch with our estate and letting agent teams today.
Islington Estate Agent – 020 7226 0160
Highbury Estate Agent – 020 7288 9696
Camden Estate Agent – 020 7482 2894